Since 2008, Toner has been a part-time lecturer on the MA in Literature and Publishing at NUI Galway. He teaches two courses: Contemporary Publishing, and Copy-editing and Proofreading.
He has also been a guest lecturer at Fiontar in DCU and on the MA in Writing in NUI Galway.
As well as lecturing in publishing, Toner has given talks on a range of musical topics:
- Leitrim Equation Talk Series (Sales and marketing for musicians)
- University of Limerick Tower Seminar (Publishing and writing about music
- Future of Music in the Digital World Conference (‘How Can We Connect to the Musical Life Around Us?’)
- Blas International Summer School – The 2014 Francis Roche Memorial Lecture (‘The Thin Green Line: On Writing About Irish Traditional Music’).
- Mostly Modern Contemporary Music Festival (“Are You Talking to Me?”: Traditional and Classical Music in Ireland),